Location Eldridge, IA
Age 49
Gender Female
Interests spending time with my family and friends, fishing, camping, drawing/painting, and just being outside
Smoke? I do not smoke
Drink? I occassionally drink
Education Graduated college / 2-year / AA
Favorite movies Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men, Pure Country, The Great Outdoors, Vacation, Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, Carol Burnett, pretty much any good comedy
Favorite music Country, most Rock-n-Roll
Updated Bio 01/04/14

Well, it’s time to finish what I started a year ago!! Since July, I had several stressors that ended up getting my eating habits to go astray. Now, it’s time to get back to the way our eating should be and to exercising regularly as well. The end of September was hard, as well as into the first part of October. I was to have my first MRI since 2009 when everything hit the fan, in nice terms. I was so scared, nervous, and anxious that I admit, my eating habits were horrible to say the least. I just wanted to explode inside!!! Its hard when all that you have on your mind is whether or not the cancer has come back and whether it has come back with a vengeance. It is so scary!!! When the results finally came, they came back good, thanks to God!!
Then was the next stressor…they decided to change my chemo medication. That hit hard!! I had learned to live with the side effects of the one, and would have to stay on it for another 5 years, so instead to shorten the time to 3 years, they switched it up. The joint pain is worse at times, the neuropathy in my feet hurts worse than before, and not only am I dealing with those side effects, but the weight gain – which is one of the biggest side effects, has been hard to control. You thought the cravings that you get when you are pregnant are bad, that is nothing to the cravings that I have had the last few months!!
Not only did these things just happen, but then we found out that our ice maker to the refrigerator had been leaking into the house and basement for over a year and long enough to cause mold in the subflooring and on top of that all the water damage to the kitchen and basement as well. That was only suppose to take 2 weeks to get everything out, cleaned up and put back together, according to the contractor, if we did some of the work. Well, that 2 weeks turned into over 2 months without a kitchen – no oven, stove top or anything for the most part. We ended up having to eat out a lot of the times or it was microwavable meals or what ever else you could find – basically, good luck at times.
So now that the kitchen finally got done, about a week and a half before Christmas, and I have found most of the cooking utensils, things are starting to get a bit better. My medication is now starting to become regulated, which is a great thing! So now that things are where they are not spinning out of control, one right after another or on top of one and other, it’s time to get things rockin and rollin again.
I know that I should have not let things get to me as they did. But we live and learn. I know now what to do and not to do, so I don’t make the same mistakes again!! So here we go!!! Let's do this!!!

Updated Bio 12/05/13

Hi, my name is LaNae (aka NurseNae). I'm 48 years old.
Like most of you, I want to lose weight, learn how to eat right, and become fit.
This is why, at first, my husband and I walked into our local Max Muscle store.
Also, like everyone else, it didn’t happen overnight that I put on so much weight, it was a journey through life, and it will be a journey to eliminate the weight and become fit and healthy.

Let me start off by saying that I have a great support group at home, with my husband George (aka paladin 4048), my three kids, and Karen who’s at our local Max Muscle store. With the help of these people and my friends, and my new friends that I will be excited to meet through the Max Muscle site, how can I go wrong?

To start, I was always on of those kids who could eat whatever, including junk food, and not put on any weight. I would burn off everything that I ate because I was so active and involved in sports. Then, it happened, I got injured playing softball by sliding into a base that was put in wrong (at that time the bases were not the breakaway bases they have now, they were held down by stakes). I slid into the base and the stakes went between the knee cap and the bone, not breaking the skin, but dislocating my knee cap. I pushed it back to where it was suppose to be and went and had it looked at. Long story short, I’ve ended up with eight knee surgeries on that one knee, with a replacement looming in the future because of all the irreversible damage that has been done. Because of the damage, I can’t do most of the things like others, I’ve had to learn to adapt and modify a lot. The thing that hurts most about this is that I’ve never been able to ride a bike, go on a long hike, or even at times a walk with my kids. This breaks my heart every time that they ask and I have to tell them sorry, I can’t. The other thing that it’s prevented me from doing is swimming. If the water is cool or cold, because of everything that’s been done, it hurts to get into the water. Sounds crazy, but it does. So, because my activity level dropped, the weight slowly started to come on.

Then, of course, you put on weight while pregnant. Having three kids, and not getting back down to pregnancy weight before the next, added a few more pounds. And you all know how life gets in the way, so before I knew it I was up to a size 14 and climbing.

I went back to school and got my degree five years and 30+ pounds later. I went back part time at first to get my prerecs out of the way, then full time. I went back, taking classes on nights and weekends, and operating my daycare business (I operated my daycare for 14+ years) during the day. This was quite challenging, studying late at night, eating while studying to help stay awake, and getting very little sleep. More pounds. I finally achieved my goal and got my RN degree!!! I was so happy!!! My family was so happy too!! I got hired at the hospital where I had started my orientation. All, I thought, was good. With my new job, this would help take care of the bills that I had added up by going back to school.

Then, the nightmare happened. I had three days left of my orientation and had gone in for a mammogram, and it happened, I was diagnosed with Cancer. Breast Cancer. Anyway, the next week was all a blur, one doctor appointment after another. Test after test after test. It was discovered that I had three tumors, all in the same breast. Two of the tumors were High-Grade Invasive Inductile Carcinoma, and the third tumor, Neuroendocrine, was considered a rare one for Breast Cancer. The Neuroendocrine tumors usually start in the kidney, liver, or lungs. I was one of three percent world wide that it started in the breast, so because of this I consider myself fortunate. Because of the invasiveness of these tumors, surgery, a modified radical mastectomy, was followed by very aggressive chemo. This was not only hard for me, but for my family and friends that had to watch me endure what the chemo was doing to me. I became very ill, not being able at times to even get out of the recliner or do anything with my family. We had to plan things around doctor visits, and chemo treatments. I would have a bad week, a so-so week and an ok week. The other thing that I had to plan around was my white count being so low that I couldn’t be around anyone that had a cold or go out because of the high risk that I could get sick. Every 21 days I would have to have a chemo treatment. It [email protected]*ked!!!!!!! There were times that I didn’t know if I was going to make it, and I know there were times that my husband and kids didn’t know if I was going to make it or how much more I could endure. Yes, I did lose my hair. But, the worst part about the whole thing is that I lost more than a year of my kid’s lives. Because of the chemo, I don’t remember hardly anything that happened during my treatments and for almost a year afterwards. During this time, one of the only foods that I could keep down was potatoes. More weight gained.

When chemo was finished, I started the reconstruction phase. I had surgery to have an expander placed, which they filled every week to stretch the skin. Then a month later, the next surgery to put implants in. I still have one more surgery to go, but I’m just not ready yet.

Also, due to all the chemo and maintenance drugs that I have to take, I suffer from a lot of side effects. The worst of them is the neuropathy and the joint pain. I have to look down and check to see if my feet are on the floor before I get up. There are times too that it takes all I have just to move, the joint pain hurts so badly and I get so stiff too. I try to joke about how I walk now, I just say I don’t walk, I waddle. It’s a way of making light of a situation that I have not much control over, if any control at all. The other thing that adds fuel to the fire is that due to my drug allergies, there aren’t a whole lot of pain relievers that I can take that aren’t narcotics.

To add more fuel to the fire, I developed lymphodema, due to the lymph nodes being removed. This is swelling, in my case, of the hand and arm.

Needless to say, due to everything that has happened, I am very limited in how I can workout. I have had to learn how to modify and change things in order for me to even begin to exercise. When I first started, at the end of March 2012 with Max Muscle, I couldn’t even walk around the block without being in severe pain. Now, I can walk a mile and a half on the treadmill. It takes me a little bit, but I can do it!

I’ve tried to be positive, at least in front of others, about my life, but to be perfectly honest, I know my family has seen the worst of me, and for a long time, no matter what I’ve done, I haven’t liked what I’ve seen in the mirror. Not being able to like who I am, or what I see when I look at myself is hard, but what makes it harder, and my husband has seen it, is how I look at myself in a swimsuit or workout clothes. Those feelings intensified after my mastectomy. Society today places such emphasis on looks, hair, and breasts that it’s hard not to look at yourself that way too.

The other thing that is sometimes good and other times not, is I am stubborn and a fighter. Maybe, that’s a good thing, for it’s gotten me to this point, a survivor. Now it’s time to fight again, for a better me.

Now, starts the next phase of my life; to transform how I look at food, and what with proper nutrition (thanks to Max Muscle for showing me the way), and exercise (no matter what you can do), it can change my life. I’m ready for this! I’ve lost so very much, but at the same time, through the journeys in my life, I have gained so much! Now it’s time to share my story, my struggles, and walk this journey so that at the end I can look myself in the mirror and not only like what I see, but also who I am.

Original Bio

Hi everyone. I have recently turned 48 years. I have three kids, a 22 year old who graduated college, a 19 year old that is studying to be a chef and a 12 year old who is in 7th grade this year. I have the most loving and supportive husband that anyone could ask for. Growing up, I use to be a very active person. As a kid I played softball, went bike riding, and enjoyed anything that involved physical activity. When I got injured playing softball, sliding into a base that was put in wrong, my activities slowed, but didn’t come to a stop. Because of my injury, I have endured eight knee surgeries so far on that one knee. I’ve just learned to do things a bit differently or know what activities I can’t do. As a kid, I never had to worry about my weight, I burned everything off with all that I was doing, but that is a different story now. The weight gain was a gradual thing, but it had just gotten out of hand. I use to like how I looked, that’s a different story now too.

My story is a two fold story. Not only do I wish to lose weight and gain muscle for my appearance, but also to help with my health. You see, in 2009, I was diagnosed with cancer. Breast cancer, but with a twist, there were two types of aggressive cells found. The first was high grade invasive ductal carcinoma and the other was neuroendurcrine. Both are aggressive, but the neuroendocrine usually is found in the liver, kidneys, or lungs. I was one of three percent world wide that the tumor was found in the breast. I underwent a modified radical mastectomy with lymph nodes removed and very aggressive chemotherapy followed. I don’t remember much of that year, which is probably a good thing. I do know that my husband was an angel helping through this time, and so were my kids and a wonderful circle of friends. Due to the side effects of the chemo and the medications that I now have to take, weight gain was the common denominator to all. In addition to weight gain, I also suffer from joint pain, neuropathy, and some short term memory loss. It’s hard to get out of bed at times, to get in and out of chairs, and to just walk. My energy level is next to none. It takes all I have both physically and mentally, just to work part time. You see, this hurts so because for five years prior to my diagnosis, I had gone back to school nights and weekends while operating a daycare and taking care of my family to become a RN. I had about three days left of orientation when all this happened. I also suffer from lymphodema in the left arm and hand, so this limits me even more in how much I can do physically. So, not only am I limited by my knee, I’m limited by my arm now, as well as the joint pain.

One of the other challenges that I face, is that I work 3rd shift, 11pm to 730am. There's one thing different tho, I am only able to work a couple of days in a row, because of my joint pain, so my nights that I work are not in a row, they are scattered, so getting a good night sleep is hard. I've learned how to take cat naps most of the time. Talk about a screwy schedule! It's crazy at times!

We had tried several types of weight loss plans, but to no avale.

On March 30, 2012, I went into Max Muscle in Bettendorf with my husband and made one of several steps into getting my life, my energy, and endurance back. With my husband at my side, I faced the scale for the first time in a long time. I knew that I had put on weight, but I didn’t know just how much. When we were married 26 years ago, I weighed about 130lbs. When I got on the scale and it read 218.5lbs my heart sank. I also had a body fat percentage of 41%.

We have been pretty consistent in following the nutrition plan. We still fight cravings every once and a while, but who doesn’t from time to time. Of course daily life has a way of getting in the way too. Doing this together with my husband is nice, because we are there to encourage the other and be there even more for each other on a daily basis.

I hope to meet new friends through Max Muscle and maybe, just maybe, by me sharing my story, I might be able to help someone else in their journey. If this happens, then the journey that I have been on has been worth it.

I am looking forward to being able to do more with my husband and family and having more energy, and being able to look in a mirror and like how I look again. I know that this is a process and takes time, but I’m ready for the challenge.

NurseNae's Wall
Sign in to leave a comment
1 2
1 2